Alec Baldwin sues ‘Rust’ shooting prosecutor for ‘malicious prosecution’

On July 12, 2024, Alec Baldwin attended his involuntary manslaughter trial in the First Judicial District Court in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Ramsey De Jeep Pool/Getty ImagesAlec Baldwin Legal action is being taken after prosecutors filed criminal charges against him in connection with his death rust cinematographer Helena Hutchins.
Baldwin, 66, indicts Santa Fe, New Mexico special prosecutor Cary T. Morrissey and 1st Judicial District Attorney. Mary Carmack-AltwisIn addition to malicious prosecution and civil rights violations, hollywood reporter and Los Angeles Times.
The lawsuit, filed Thursday, Jan. 9, in federal court in New Mexico, claims prosecutors intentionally withheld evidence that would prove his manslaughter conviction.
The lawsuit alleges that the defendants were “blinded by their desire to convict Alec Baldwin for all the wrong reasons and at any cost. Regardless of the evidence or the law, the defendants sought to scapegoat Baldwin for the actions and inactions of others.
“The purpose of a criminal prosecution should be to seek truth and justice, not to pursue personal or political gain or harass innocent people,” Baldwin’s attorney said. Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro said in a statement Los Angeles Times. “Over and over again, Kari Morrissey and the other defendants violated this fundamental principle and trampled on Alec Baldwin’s rights.”
“In October 2023, the prosecution team became aware that Mr. Baldwin intended to file a retaliatory civil lawsuit,” Morrissey said in a statement to the media. “We look forward to our day in court.”

Baldwin has twice faced involuntary manslaughter charges for the accidental shooting of Hutchins in October 2021. rust director Joel Souza Injured while firing real bullets from a prop gun on a Western set.
Baldwin denied pulling the trigger and was later charged with two counts of manslaughter in January 2023 and pleaded not guilty a month later. Criminal charges were dropped in April 2023.
Second case dismissed by 1st Judicial District judge Mary Marlowe Sommer last summer. Sommer agreed with Baldwin’s attorneys that prosecutors withheld evidence that could be related to the fatal shooting.
“There is no way the court can right this wrong,” Sommer said in court, according to NBC News. “Dismissal sanctions are the only reasonable remedy.”
In December 2024, Morrissey, who was seeking to reinstate the charges against Baldwin, announced that the case against Baldwin had been dropped due to a lack of support from the District Attorney’s Office. As a result, Baldwin will no longer face criminal charges in connection with the incident.
“The state’s efforts to continue prosecuting this case in a fair and comprehensive manner have encountered multiple obstacles that undermine its ability to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law,” Morrissey said in a release. new york times.
The armorer in the movie, Hannah Gutierrez-ReedIn March 2024, he was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 18 months in prison. Her lawyers’ appeal for a new trial was dismissed in September 2024.