10 people who can get council tax discounts and how to apply

BRITS can get a full or partial discount on their Council Tax bills if they fit into one of 10 categories.

Council Tax bills are expected to rise up to £250 next April, along with the 1.5% National Insutance increase, to pay for social care.

This means it may be time for you to double check if you or a household member can receive a discount on the tax.

However, not everyone has to pay the full rate of Council Tax.

There are 10 categories of people who can money off their bill.

Even if you don't fit into one of the 10 categories there may still be other ways for you to save on the tax.

Many councils offer reductions for people experiencing financial hardship.

However, this varies from council to council, so you should contact your local authority directly to see what they can do.

You can also check if your home is one of 400,000 in the wrong council tax band, which may mean that you are paying more than you should.

Who has to pay council tax?

Most adults must pay Council Tax if they own or rent a home.

A full Council Tax bill is calculated on at least two adults living in a home.

Couples or spouses who live together are jointly responsible for paying the tax.

Who is exempt from paying Council Tax?

Not all people over the age of 18 are categorised as adults for the purposes of Council Tax.

Those that are not counted as adults can receive a full or partial discount.

These people are not counted as adults:

  • People on accredited apprentice schemes who won't be paid more than £195 a week
  • 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
  • Full-time college and university students
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • Student nurses
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • People with a severe mental impairment
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who is not their partner, spouse, or child under 18
  • Diplomats
  • Children under 18

Even if you don't fall into these categories you will be able to apply for a 25% discount if you live on your own, or if you are the only adult living in your home.

How much is the discount worth?

Students who only live with other students are eligible for a full exemption from paying Council Tax.

This means that neither the landlord nor the students living there have to pay the bill.

For the other categories, ifno one in your home counts as an adult then you will usually get a 50% discount.

However, your Council Tax bill will not be discounted if you live with two adults who are ineligible for a discount.

You can calculate how much Council Tax you should be paying here.

How do I apply for a Council Tax discount?

You can check whether you are eligible for a discount on the Government's website.

You will be asked to enter your postcode.

You will then be taken to your local authority's website, where you will be able to get more information.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article