Heggs orders the U.S. Army to restore the name of Fort Bragg
Brad Brooks and Idrees Ali
(Reuters) – U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth renamed the Army Base Fort Liberty to its original name on Monday, a statement from a Department of Defense, to withdraw the The 2023 name driven by racial justice protests.
The base is among the largest military installation in the world, and it was renamed to Fort Free as part of a efforts to rename Christan after the Confederate officers.
Trusted news and daily joy are in your inbox
Watch it for yourself – Yodel is the go-to for daily news, entertainment and feel-good stories.
After the death of George Floyd in 2020, the name of the Allies was named a military base after protests nationwide.
According to a video posted on the Defense Department website, Heggs signed a memorandum of the order changes and said: “Yes, Prague is back.”
President Donald Trump said in a campaign last year in North Carolina that he wanted to change the base’s name back to Fort Bragg.
Congress passed legislation in 2021 prohibiting the naming of bases, after anyone who volunteered to serve or lead the alliance nations fighting the United States during the 19th century Civil War.
The North Carolina Base was founded in 1918 and was originally named after General Braxton Prague, who served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. According to its website, it has airborne and special operations forces and has 57,000 soldiers.
Hegseth avoided Congress’s rules prohibiting Confederate names by formally renaming Fort Bragg to private first class Roland Bragg, who “during World War II There were big differences during World War II”, the memorandum ordered the name change.
“Rename Fort Bragg, which honors all the American soldiers who trained to fight for and win our wars, Hegss wrote in the memorandum: “And in line with the respect and long history of installations.” ”
(Brad Brooks’ report in Colorado and Idrees Ali in Washington; editor of Gerry Doyle)