Family says captured Israeli soldier ‘disfigured beyond recognition’
The family of an Israeli hostage said her family, filmed by Hamas in a new proof-of-life video, were “unrecognizable” despite the terror group’s apparent efforts to improve her appearance.
Liri Elbag was one of six soldiers kidnapped from the Nahal Oz base near the Gaza border. She is one of 100 remaining hostages out of 251 taken on October 7, about 60 of whom are believed to be alive.
The 19-year-old hostage, who turns 20 next month, appears to be given a new army shirt in the footage. She also appeared to be wearing a sweatshirt underneath her clothes, possibly to hide her weight loss.
“This is not the Lily we knew,” her mother, Shira Elbag, said after the video was released.
Liri Elbag before being captured by Hamas
Mrs. Erbag said her daughter looked “distracted and scared” in the video. “We heard the terrorists were standing by with guns blazing and ordering her what to say.”
She said she had been “waiting for a long time for signs of life” and her family was “devastated” after discovering Lily had appeared in the latest Hamas video.
“She needs to go home, she needs mom and dad. She hasn’t seen the sun in over four hundred days. We are strong and we will fight. She will come back alive, believe it.
According to a report submitted by the Israeli Health Ministry to the United Nations, Hamas purposefully tried to improve the appearance of hostages before releasing them, and they may also do so before filming proof-of-life videos.
Video of Hamas captures in October 2023
According to a UN report, those who “overeat” before returning to Israel are at risk of refeeding syndrome, which occurs when a malnourished person starts eating again.
The report also noted that about half of the returned hostages said they were deliberately starved while in captivity.
“Their eating habits are poor, which often results in increased hunger over time. In addition to nutritional deficiencies, they are also kept in dark spaces, increasing the risk of vitamin D deficiency.
The frantic mother told Israel Kan News that while she was “happy to see signs of life… there is another side and it is difficult”.
The video comes amid reports that Hamas has handed over a list of 34 hostages to Israeli negotiators as ceasefire talks continue in Doha, Qatar.
A Hamas official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said any deal was contingent on Israel withdrawing its troops from Gaza and agreeing on a permanent ceasefire.
However, the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office denied this, issuing a statement saying: “Contrary to claims, Hamas has not forwarded the list of abductees until this moment.”
Hamas did not respond when contacted by The Daily Telegraph for comment.
Broaden your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph free for 1 month and get unlimited access to our award-winning website, exclusive apps, money-saving offers and more.