Finance News

Biden administration leaves TikTok ban decision to Trump: What it means for 170 million U.S. users and big tech companies – Alphabet (NASDAQ: GOOG ), Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL )

this The Biden administration has decided not to implement the upcoming bill Tik Tok ban, leaving the decision to the incoming person Donald Trump administrative.

What happened: Although the ban will take effect on Sunday, the Biden administration will not force TikTok to close to U.S. users. However, the popular social media app may choose to do so voluntarily, impacting its 170 million monthly users.

“Our position on this is clear: TikTok should continue to operate under U.S. ownership. Given the timing of it taking effect over the holiday weekend before the inauguration, it will be up to the next administration to implement it,” a White House spokesperson told ABC News .

See also: Apple shares have risen 4.2% since the launch of the iPhone 16, and analysts say it has room to rise 8% as lower manufacturing costs boost profit margins in Cupertino

The law took effect the day before President Joe Biden After leaving office, he said app stores and web hosting services could face fines of up to $5,000 per user if they continue to provide services to TikTok.

This makes technology companies like apple inc. AAPL, alphabet inc. Google Googleand Oracle Corporation ORCL in a dangerous situation.

Why it’s important: While President Biden and President-elect Trump have limited options to delay the ban, the law does allow for one-time extensions of up to 90 days under certain conditions.

But there is currently no indication that these conditions have been met.

subscription Benzinga Technology Trends Newsletter Get all the latest technology developments delivered to your inbox.

Despite Democrats’ attempts to extend TikTok parent company’s deadline, Byte bouncestrip, senator. Tom Cotton (R-AR) objected, citing national security concerns, the report noted.

Trump selects Florida congressman as national security adviser. Mike Waltzconfirmed that the incoming administration is exploring options to keep TikTok available, including a possible executive order.

It was previously reported that TikTok CEO longevity week Expected to attend Trump’s inauguration.

As the ban approaches, users are looking for alternatives. More and more users are turning to red notea widely used Chinese social media app known as little red book in China.

Photo credit: Shutterstock.com

See more from Benzinga’s Consumer Technology Report follow this link.

Read next:

Disclaimer: This content was produced in part with the help of benzingine nerve and is reviewed and published by Benzinga editors.

Market news and data brought to you by Benzinga API

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
×