Biden approves $500 million Ukraine security plan 11 days before Trump takes office

The Biden administration announced Thursday an additional $500 million in military aid to Ukraine as part of an emergency security package launched before President-elect Trump took office.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin made the announcement during his final meeting with Ukrainian President Zelensky at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. The two officials took the opportunity to urge the incoming Trump administration to continue supporting Kyiv in its fight against Russia.
“If Putin swallows Ukraine, his appetite will only grow,” Austin warned at the 25th meeting of some 50 member states that have joined forces to support Ukraine with an estimated $122 billion in funding. The weapon and support of the dollar.
“If dictators believe that democracies will lose their courage, abandon their interests, and forget their principles, we will only see more land grabbing. If tyrants know that aggression comes with a price, we will only invite more aggression, chaos, and war. “
Putin’s mindset: What Trump’s team expects from Moscow as it negotiates Russia-Ukraine war options
From left: German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin attend a meeting in Ramstadt, Germany, Thursday, January 9, 2025 Ukraine Contact Group meeting held at Air Force Base. (Marijan Murat/dpa, AP)
The latest U.S. security assistance to Ukraine includes fighter missiles, F-16 fighter support equipment, armored bridging systems, small arms and ammunition, as well as other spare parts and communications equipment.
The weapons package is funded through the Presidential Drawdown Authorization (PDA), which means the weapons will come from U.S. stockpiles, expediting delivery to Ukraine.
Zelensky says Trump may be ‘decisive’ to end war

Austin announces new $500 million security package for Ukraine. (Marijan Murat/dpa, AP)
Officials noted that this is the 74th batch of equipment that the Biden administration has provided to Ukraine from the Department of Defense inventory since August 2021.
The latest package leaves about $3.85 billion available for future arms shipments to Ukraine, with Trump having the option of sending the balance to the Biden administration if it makes no further announcements.
Zelensky implored the next administration to continue supporting the country’s defensive war against Russian invaders.
Ukraine receives first U.S. gas shipment amid fresh supply concerns

On December 19, 2024, the ruins of the city of Toletsk in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine. (Photo by Ukrinform/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
“We have come so far, it would be crazy to give up now and not continue to develop the defense alliance we have established,” Zelensky said. “No matter what happens in the world, everyone wants to be sure that their country It won’t be wiped off the map.”
Members of the pro-Kiev coalition, including the United States, have ramped up weapons production since the war in Ukraine exposed that stockpiles were inadequate for a major conventional land war.
Click here to get the Fox News app
The United States has provided approximately $66 billion in aid to Ukraine since February 2022, with the majority (80% to 90%) delivered to Ukraine.
“Retreating will only spur further imperial aggression,” Austin said Thursday. “If we retreat, you can count on Putin to go further and punch harder. Ukraine’s survival is at stake. But the security of Europe, the United States and the world It’s also in danger.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.